Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Fooled by Randomness

On the suggestion of one of my mathematician friend, I started reading a book, Fooled by randomness authored by Nassim Taleb. It was very fascinating and I could not stop before completing it. I would say this book can sit with those rare pieces, which impact your thought process.

To begin with, for me first stark difference about this book is, it is philosophically oriented book written by a trader. Taleb is a professional trader, who has very rich experience with various world class business houses. However, he is also been involved in academics. While reading we can experience a very practical approach with on the field experiences accompanied by a depth of knowledge in philosophy and modern psychology. This makes reading a very pleasant journey.  

If I had to explain about it in a sentence, I would say, “the book emphasizes on human mind’s incapability to understand difference between pure randomness and causal relations.” A more extreme interpretation can be, “the failure of human race in its endeavor to understand cause and effect relation.”      

No comments:

Post a Comment